Landon’s tonsils.

So, about 3-4 weeks ago, when we were in Tuscon, Landon got sick. He never once complained of a sore throat. On Tuesday after we got back, I took him to the doctor, as he was still fevered (day 4). He was cultured for strep, and tested positive. We put him on Amoxicillin, and in less than 24 hours he was his normal, bouncy self. He finished up all of that, and two days later (on a Saturday) was sick again. 

I took him to Urgent Care, he tested positive for strep AGAIN. He got put on penicillin, and in less than 24 hours he was his normal, bouncy self. He finished up all of that, and two days later he was sick again. (Last does Sunday night, sick Tuesday Morning). .

So Tuesday we went to the doctor. STREP AGAIN. So now we are on Cephalexin (I think) and once again, by the end of the day he was pretty much normal. They had me set up a follow up apt for Friday the 17th, as that should be his last day on the meds. This stuff is three times a day.

So on Friday (of next week) if he tests positive, they told me that means he is a “Strep Carrier” and that he might need his tonsils out. My research shows that people who are “Strep Carriers” just have the bacteria hanging out, so they always test positive, but don’t show symptoms normally. So they test positive for strep, but really just have a cold. I don’t think this is the case, because as soon as the meds go away, he ACTS exactly the same, like strep. So if he still has strep and it’s the same case, not going away, how are we going to know if the test is showing strep because he has it, versus because he’s a carrier? I’m expecting him to come back down ill on Sunday the 18th.

If they say he needs his tonsils out, do we do it right away? Don’t we have to go through the ENT and the referral process? I know the ENT has a month wait for an appointment. How do we clear the strep in the meantime? I want Landon to not miss school. Ugh. Also, I’m not a fan of him having surgery if he doesn’t truly need it, and I’m not sure if he NEEDS it or not. Bobby says we’ll just do what the doctor tells us.  (I had my tonsils out when I was a year older than Landon for chronic sore throats) Anyway, advice welcome.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: